Tuesday 11 June 2013

Trail 2: Hong Kong Parkview - Violet Hill - The Twins - Stanley

   
Hong Kong Parkview - Violet Hill - The Twins - Stanley
6th June 2013
3 Hours 45mins


Comments: Note to self, please see comments from Trail 1. I left at 11.45 and the temperature was HOT!!!

The Route
Google Maps


Heading up to Violet hill I passed a warning sign "please do not attempt this trail unless you are an experienced hiker, have the right equipment (and should say "you are physically fit")...more on that later.



The route was fairly steep leading away from Parkview and reasonably shaded in parts and on reaching the summit of violet hill I was feeling a little confident about today's trek. I had read a number of online posts regarding this walk and many mentioned 軟足 "Softened Legs", I was feeling fine, on reflection, this was an error.





Over Violet Hill were some fantastic views out to sea and many of the outlying islands but more importantly I saw "The Twins" way off in the distance and I could just make out the path heading up. 


The path descends into Tsin Shui Wan Au. At this point you do have to option to head towards Tia Tam Reservoir or Repulse Bay or continue on. In my usual spirit I headed up the first of the 1000 steps. 


Note: I did not count them, they are not numbered up, and it felt like they were never going to end.

WARNING: DO NOT ATTEMPT IN HIGH TEMPERATURES OR IF YOU ARE UNFIT.

This was tough....very tough!!!


I reached the top of the first peak only to realise that I had to descend in order to climb the second of the twins.




The descent from the second peak was straight forward but by this point I had run out of water my legs were not happy with me. 


I made it to the end of the trail and was very pleased to see a bus stop on the other side of the road. I needed air conditioning, water and a seat. I was soaked in my own sweat (not a pleasant image) and physically exhausted. 


Maybe a slightly easier one next time. 














No comments: